Monday, April 5, 2010

Sapphires are forever...

SO , the weekend is over. My mouse died yesterday. Poor little Logitech Optical... Going hunting for a new one over lunch today. Over the past few weeks, (post Startup Weekend), I have been working on some graphic design. Being the poor college student / Linux nut that I am, I sought out some open-source alternatives to create some sweet graphics. GIMP is by far the most popular open-source graphics editor/creator available. Many even compare it to Photoshop. Never using Photoshop, I assume most features are the same, with a few odds and ends left out of GIMP. But if you are used to paint, and have never used Photoshop, and have never taken a graphic arts design course... even GIMP can be someone complex to use. It is a very powerful tool, but I passed it on by to look and see what other free tools are available. After a quick search of Adobe Illustrator on OSalt.com , I found a tool that blew my mind. Inkscape is a free vector graphics tool that offers the simplicity of MSPaint, with a powerful graphics editing tool. It has become my favorite graphic design tool, and is able to create 3D vector graphics as well as produce some pretty bad-ass logos and designs.


Anyway , I have used my graphic design tool to start building a collection of logos and hopefully some sites in the future... all under the name "Sapphire Digital Studios". Here are a couple of samples I did over the past few days.





No comments:

Post a Comment